2) I have received the PT1 claim form to pay provisional tax for December, but profits are very low this year. Can we object to the amount claim?

No, an objection is not valid against a PT claim form, but the Commissioner of Inland Revenue allows you to reduce such claim through a prescribed form, called the Provisional Tax Reduction form.

This has to be submitted before the prescribed payment date. The claimed tax can be reduced up to zero.

One has to note, however, that there is an anti abuse provision in the law.  If one claims a reduction in Provisional Tax and subsequently this request is proved to be overstated, then the tax authorities will charge interest at 1% on the under paid tax from the date that such tax was due.

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.